Make your own Green Cleaners
Homemade recipes may require a little more elbow grease and take a little longer to work but help keep harmful chemicals out of the house.
Mirror and Glass Cleaner
Ingredients: vinegar and water
Mix 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray onto surface and wipe with a lint-free rag or washable, reusable cheesecloth.
Drain Cleaner (for minor clogs)
Ingredients: baking soda, white vinegar, boiling water
First, pour ½ cup baking soda down the drain followed by ½ cup vinegar. Let it fizz for about 10-15 minutes. Then pour a teakettle full of boiling water down the drain. Repeat as needed.
Ingredients: lemon juice and olive oil
Combine ¼ cup lemon juice and 1/8 cup olive oil. Pour small amount on lint free rag.
Air Fresheners & Deodorizers
Everyone loves a fresh, clean smelling house. However, some commercial air fresheners can be harmful. Some natural alternatives are:
- Blend cloves, cinnamon, allspice or other scented spices into a pot of water. Simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Steep leftover orange or lemon slices in a pot of water and simmer for 1-2 hours.
- Place baking soda in an open container in the refrigerator, closet or other enclosed space to absorb odors.
- Pour vanilla extract into a bowl and set it in an out of the way place.
- Mix lemon juice and baking soda to 2 cups hot water in a spray bottle. Spray into air to freshen.
- Pour vinegar in a cup or bowl to rid a room of odors.